Last year June was the month where the Kentucky football staff really made hay on the recruiting trail. It led to Kentucky holding the #1 recruiting class for a while during the Summer. A big reason that June got things going was the camp circuit begins then and for many players it’s the first time they will have visited Lexington and got to see UK first hand. It probably didn’t hurt that Drew Barker and the other early commits were just then uniting to become a recruiting force of their own. Well, it’s June again and the first of UK’s camps is coming up this weekend. So when do the commitments start? Who’s first? That’s a little hazy but it’s likely that the Cats add to their class before the end of next week. Here are some likely candidates.
- DE Johnathan Greenard – Greenard is set to decide between Kentucky and Louisville and will visit both this weekend. He has been quoted having Kentucky as his leader and says that it would take something pretty impressive from the Cards to topple the Cats. The trip is mainly to get his parents familiar with the schools as well. Greenard doesn’t hold a lot of big offers but trust the staff on this one.
- DB Kei Beckham – This could get interesting, because Beckham once held Kentucky at the very top of his list but there was some speculation that UK may have held off a commitment early on. Since then Beckham has blown up on the camp circuit and has options rolling in. The staff is reportedly in hot pursuit now. Hopefully the early hesitancy on the behalf of Stoops & Co. didn’t turn him off.
- DE Darius Fullwood – A former teammate of current Wildcat signee Kobe Walker, Fullwood has set a decision date for June 28. He will be visiting UK again before he decides and refers to UK’s 2015 class with words like “we” and “us”. Not a bad sign for sure. It looks like it’s down to the Wildcats and Ohio State. It’s always a tall order to face off against the Buckeyes, but to hear their faces tell it, Kentucky never has.
- OL George Asafo Adjei – A mauling guard or right tackle tackle, Asafo Adjei is a former teammate of current Wildcats Mikel Horton and Kyle Meadows, as well as linebacker recruit CJ Stalker. The appeal of reuniting with his offensive teammates is big for the Ohio lineman and they are reportedly recruiting him to Lexington. His favorites are Kentucky, Louisville and West Virginia and he plans to commit somewhere soon.
- DE Marquise Copeland- Another defensive end? Truth be told Copeland and Greenard likely vying for one spot and Fullwood is too good to turn away. Copeland is very high on Kentucky but his offer may not be committable yet, the coaches may want to work him out at one of the camps before making a decision about that.
These aren’t the only viable options to commit in the coming weeks, there are a slew of wide receivers and defensive backs that Kentucky has good ins with. There are some players that will camp elsewhere trying to get offers that they covet. (ex. LB Mathew Draper and Ohio State). But smart money is on one of those five being a Wildcat before the calendar rolls to July. Buckle up, it’s about to get fun again.