Kentucky Basketball Postgame Notes
#14/16 Kentucky 71, Vanderbilt 62
Jan. 11, 2014
Memorial Gymnasium – Nashville, Tenn.
Team Records, Notes
- Kentucky improves to 12-3, and 2-0 in Southeastern Conference action. Vanderbilt drops to 8-6 overall and 0-2 in league play.
- With the win, Kentucky now leads the series 139-46 including a 55-27 mark in Nashville.
- Kentucky will return to the hardwood Tuesday, Jan. 14, at Arkansas. Tipoff is set for 9:00 p.m. ET on ESPN.
- UK’s all-time record against SEC foes stands improves to 913-256 and 64-19 under John Calipari.
- Today’s attendance was 14,316.
- Kentucky started with the lineup of sophomore Willie Cauley-Stein and freshmen Aaron Harrison, Andrew Harrison, Julius Randle and James Young. That lineup improves to 8-3 on the year. UK has used that starting five in each of its last eight games.
- Alex Poythress and Dakari Johnson were the first subs off the bench marking the seventh and fifth time respectively they have entered the game first.
- UK took its first lead of the game at the 15:33 mark after a pair of free throws from Aaron Harrison to make the score 6-4.
- Andrew Harrison connected on a 3-pointer at the 10:30 minute mark to push UK’s run to 9-0 and gave Kentucky a 15-6 score advantage. Kentucky held the lead for the remaining of the opening stanza taking a 30-22 advantage into the break.
- Kentucky took a nine-point lead at 36-27 to open the second frame, but the Commodores used a 4-0 spurt to pull to within 36-31 at the 16:11 mark forcing UK into a timeout.
- Following an Alex Poythress dunk at the 5:37 mark to give UK a 60-47 lead. Kentucky was charged with a technical foul for its second delay of game for the contest. Vanderbilt made both free throws and then hit a 3-pointer on its return possession to pull back to within eight at 60-52.
- A Vanderbilt 3-pointer cut UK’s lead to just seven at the 1:59 mark. James Young grabbed an offensive rebound off a missed 1-and-1 and the possession ended on a Cauley-Stein dunk. Kentucky held at least a seven-point advantage the rest of the way.
- Kentucky led 30-22 at halftime and is now 9-1 on the year when leading at the break.
- UK which ranks third nationally extended its 3-point streak to 875 consecutive games, while Vanderbilt which ranks second nationally has hit at least one triple in 878 successive games.
- UK’s all-time record in the month of January moves to 579-195 and 28-5 under Calipari.
- The Wildcats are now 16-3 all-time as the Associated Press’ No. 14 rated squad and 3-0 under Calipari.
- The Cats have registered 40 or more rebounds in 13 games this season including hauling in 41 today.
- Kentucky had seven steals in today’s contest just two shy of a season-best.
- Willie Cauley-Stein finished with a team-high 15 points and six rebounds.
- Has reached double-figure scoring in each of UK’s two SEC games.
- Had a block and a pair of steals. Has registered at least one block in all but one game this season.
- Aaron Harrison poured in 14 points and added four rebounds and a pair of assists.
- Has notched 13 double-figure scoring efforts on the season.
- Andrew Harrison logged 10 points, eight rebounds and a team-high four assists.
- Has hit at least one 3-pointer in two-straight games.
- The eight boards matched a career-high, he also had eight against Robert Morris.
- Recorded his eighth-career double-figure scoring game.
- Dished out four assists and has six career outings with four or more dimes.
- Jarrod Polson totaled six points to go along with a rebound and an assist in 14 minutes of action.
- Made both of his 3-point attempts in the opening half pushing his start to the season from long range to a perfect 3-for-3 before missing on his next attempt in the second stanza.
- Julius Randle finished with seven points and a squad-best 11 rebounds.
- Hauled in all of his 11 rebounds in the opening half.
- He’s logged double-figure boards in 11 games this season including both against league foes.
- Derek Willis registered his first career steal.
- James Young scored six points and dished out four assists.
- Has connected on at least one 3-pointer in 13 games this season including each of the last three.
- Has nine assists in SEC games.