Wow, it’s been quite a week hasn’t it? The whirlwind that began during Kentucky’s first football camp of the Summer has vaulted the Cats into the #3 ranking in all the land according to Rivals.com. If the Cats pick up another good commitment or JUCO LB Ryan Flannigan gets rated as a high 3*,Kentucky would have the top college football recruiting class in the country. That is assuming no other top 5 teams get a commit in that time frame and the #1 ranking wouldn’t stick through Signing Day, but who cares? The words “Kentucky” “football” “top” and “recruiting class” have never been used in the same sentence before. What Mark Stoops and staff have done is simply incredible, there is no way around it. And before you start talking about players jumping ship as the season rolls on, listen to this. These recruits already know that 2013 will be a bad year. Barker, Snodgrass, Boom Williams and others have all said that they know 2013 will be a struggle. They are expecting 2015, their sophomore year, to be the year UK breaks through.
With that little rant over, here are some recruiting tidbits to chew on:
- The Tyre Brady situation may be a bit fluid. As I’m sure you’ve noticed, there was no Yahtzee celebration following Brady’s commitment. It sounds like the coaches may want to wait on Brady due to some concerns they have.
- 4* WR Derek Kief will announce his college choice via Twitter tomorrow at5:30 EST.Most thinkAlabamais in the lead due to him just finishing a visit there and I think that the Tide are most likely. But theUKcoaches feel good about where they are with Kief, not confident, but optimistic.
- So this week, Kentuckyoffered a 7th grader and got a commitment from a HS sophomore. Welcome to big boy recruiting. If those kids grow into the top player in the state during their respective senior years, I won’t hear anyone complain aboutUK getting in on them so early.
- 4* WR Braxton Berrios released his Top 5 schools last night and the Cats made the cut, along with South Carolina, Clemson, UT and West Virginia. Most believe it will come down toKentuckyand USCe.
- For fans wanting the Cats to lock up the best defender in the state, Matt Elam, it is going to be a while.Elamplans to announce his decision at the Army All-American game in January. Still thinkUKhas a slight edge on other suitors at this point.
- Class of 2015 QB Elijah Sindelar was offered by Kentucky this week. Expect the Caldwell County signal-caller to be a big name next year. Also offered was 2015 QB Jarret Stidham a Kentucky native now living in Texas.
- The buzz around Texas WR T.V. Williams was pretty high during the week but obviously he hasn’t announced yet. It sounds like he plans on doing so at The Opening. I’m sure Drew Barker and Thaddeus Snodgrass will be in his ear while attending.
- Ohio OL Brady Taylor was looking for an Ohio State offer last week and it doesn’t like one was extended, he could be a Cat soon.
- It seems like every recruit that commits or visits does an interview now and cites the BBN presence on Twitter and/or the Spring Game attendance as big reasons for their UK interest. Keep it up guys, you really can help the program by staying positive.