There really should be no surprise today as several outlets are reporting that Julius Randle will be headed to the NBA after one season in the NBA. You can watch the Julius Randle press conference here, however.
Randle is coming off a season in which he averaged 15 points and 10.4 rebounds a game and helped lead the Kentucky Wildcats to the NCAA Championship game. Randle is widely assumed to be a top five pick in the upcoming NBA Draft. Here is a bit of a scouting report on Randle from the pro perspective and a link to watch the 1:30PM press conference.
- Aggressiveness on the inside as a scorer
- Strong rebounder
- Low-post scoring
- Scoring around the basket
- Explosiveness at the rim
- Terrific driving ability for a power forward
- Capable mid-range game
- Handles the ball well for his size
- Can rebound and lead the break
- Lateral quickness defending on the perimeter
- Has a killer instinct
- A lefty who needs to be more comfortable scoring over his left shoulder
- Too often has a guard’s mentality in trying to lead break, push tempo, and makes a bad decision
Summary: With an already NBA-ready build, Randle figures to be one of the top-six players in the 2014 NBA Draft. His versatility, strength, and athleticism make him an ideal NBA power forward, and he has the potential to be an All-Star caliber player in the association.
Player Comparison: Zach Randolph. Outside of the fact that both are lefties, Randle relies on his physicality down low to overpower opponents just like Randolph. Both guys are capable of handling the ball on the perimeter and can put the ball on the deck to overpower defenders around the rim.