Saturday afternoon at the O’Connell Center in Gainesville, FL is the second matchup this season between No. 25 Kentucky and No. 1 Florida. Here are some game notes courtesy of the UKAA as well as pre-Florida interviews with John Calipari, Willie Cauley-Stein, and James Young.
• The Wildcats are in their 111th season of basketball and are the national leaders in total wins with 2,133.
• UK leads the all-time series with Florida by a 94-35 overall margin including a 33-23 record when the game
is played in Gainesville.
• UK is 6-13 all-time when playing the nation’s top-ranked team. The last time UK faced a No. 1 ranked unit
was on March 25, 2011 in the NCAA Tournament against Ohio State. Kentucky claimed a 62-60 victory in
that contest. Florida has twice been ranked as the No. 1 team in the country when playing UK and the teams
are 1-1 in such games. UF won on Feb. 10, 2007, 64-61. UK won on Feb. 4, 2003 by a 70-55 score.
• John Calipari coached teams are 123-36 (.774) in the months of March and April.
• Sophomore Willie Cauley-Stein now has 87 blocks on the season which is the third most blocks in a single
season in program history. The top three shot blockers have played in each of the last three seasons for UK.
Anthony Davis had 186 and Nerlens Noel swatted 106 shots.
• Julius Randle captured his 17th double-double of the season against Alabama with 12 points and 11
rebounds. He is now eighth in the single season UK record books for double-doubles on the year.
• Randle is on pace to break the single-season freshman rebounding record. Through 30 games, Randle
has amassed 314 rebounds. UK’s record-holder, Anthony Davis, had 293 through the same number of
games. For the second time this season, Randle has seven-consecutive games with 10 or more rebounds.
He opened the season with 10+ in seven-straight, and has hauled in 10 or more in every game since the win
at Auburn on the road.
• For just the second time in NCAA history, a team’s top four leading scorers are freshmen and have all
scored 300 or more points. Michigan’s ‘Fab Five’ is the only other team with four freshmen leading the way.