Madison Southern High School’s star running back, Damien Harris has been making a lot of buzz the last few days because of his decommitment to Michigan. While this may sound like good news to Kentucky fans, it may be fool’s gold. However, that’s not to say that Kentucky doesn’t have a shot at Harris. Especially considering that Michigan recently fired offensive coordinator Al Borges, who was fired a few days before Harris’ decommitment.
What do we know?
- Madison Southern head football coach, Jon Clark said in an interview with the Lexington Herald-Leader that ‘(Michigan is) still his top school.’
- Harris has offers from Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Ohio State and Florida among others.
- Michigan has been Harris’ long-time favorite school.
- Currently Harris is the #1 prospect in-state and #5 nationally and the top running back for the 2015 class.
- Harris wants to make sure he is making the right decision, according to his head coach, Jon Clark.
With everything in consideration, the question remains if Kentucky has a shot at landing Harris. Anything is possible with how coach Mark Stoops is recruiting. Who would’ve thought that coach Stoops would have the success in recruiting that he has had thus far at Kentucky. Besides, if Harris were to come to Kentucky, he would be a superstar from day one and could possibly help build a really good football team. Imagine if Kentucky lands Matt Elam along with it’s top-20 recruiting class for 2014, then pick-up Harris the next year following. It would be a major step in the right direction for coach Stoops’ Wildcats and could potentially help boost Kentucky up as a contender in SEC.
Check out the highlights of Harris’ 2013 season at Southern. It’s hard to believe he is just a junior with the speed that he has.