Kentucky Wildcats vs Texas A&M Aggies — UK Post-Game Notes (from UKAA)
Rupp Arena, Lexington, Ky., January 21, 2014
FINAL SCORE: Kentucky 68, Texas A&M 51
Team Records, Notes
• Kentucky is 14-4, 4-1 in the Southeastern Conference. Texas A&M is 12-6, 3-2 in league play.
• Kentucky leads the series 4-2, including 3-2 in Lexington.
• This is the only time the teams will meet during the regular season.
• Kentucky concludes its three-game homestand Saturday against Georgia. Game time is 1:30 p.m. and will be shown on SEC TV.
• Kentucky started Andrew Harrison, Aaron Harrison, James Young, Julius Randle and Willie Cauley-Stein for the 11th time
• Andrew Harrison opened the scoring with a 3-pointer on the first possession of the game; two minutes later, he hit another triple that put the Wildcats ahead 8-5, a lead they would not relinquish.
• Kentucky led by as many as 10 points in the first half (25-15) and went to intermission up 34-27.
• Early in the second half, A&M narrowed the score to 37-33 when Alex Poythress scored seven-straight points to give UK a 44-33 lead. That was the start of a 21-7 run that put the game away for the Wildcats.
• UK led by as many as 21 points en route to the victory.
• Kentucky has won 20 consecutive home games, including 11 straight SEC home contests.
• UK dominated the rebounding, 42-24, leading to a 15-4 lead in second-chance points.
• Sparked by Poythress’ 16 points, UK won bench points 25-13.
• Kentucky is now 33-0 under Coach Calipari when limiting the opponent to 55 or fewer points.
• Alex Poythress had a season-high 16 points and added five rebounds and two blocked shots.
• James Young chipped in 15 points and seven rebounds.
• Julius Randle had 13 points and 11 rebounds, his 11th double double
• Dakari Johnson collected six points and seven rebounds. He was effective on the defensive end with three blocked shots and a steal while affecting multiple shot trajectories.
• Andrew Harrison scored eight points, tied his season of eight rebounds and had a game-high four assists.
o UK is 79-2 in Rupp Arena under Coach Calipari.
o Coming into the game UK led the SEC with a rebounding margin of +11.4.
o UK is 8-0 this season when the Wildcats win bench points.
o Poythress is averaging 10.6 points in UK’s five SEC games.
o As a team, UK had a +22 points in the +/- statistic when Johnson was in the game tonight.