The Kentucky Wildcat’s face the Commodores of Vanderbilt (5-4) this Saturday at 12:21 ET in Nashville on the Gridiron.
These two schools have a long history and last week we chronicled parts of Vanderbilt by way of UNC Asheville, but tonight we’re going to take our look at how they are tied together this week with a little help from birthday boy Yanni to kick things off.
- Greek pianist, keyboardist, composer, and music producer Yanni turned 59 today. His music wasn’t much over the air, but he certainly managed to impress single mothers with his long hair and instrumental rock symphonies. Yanni has released dozens of albums, but 14 can say they made it to #1 on a Billboard chart, even if it is the New Age chart.
- The Commodores may be known for their affiliation with Lionel Richie, but the group is what made Richie famous. While hitting several #1 singles, their first album to make it to #1 on the Billboard charts was “Slippery When Wet”.
- Vanderbilt University’s sports teams play under the nickname “The Commodores” in honor of Cornelius Vanderbilt who shared that nickname.
- Vanderbilt’s Men’s Basketball team has never reached #1 in the Associated Press poll. They have however reached #2… once.
- The AP Poll has been around since January 10th, 1949 and St Louis was the first school to hold the #1 ranking.
- The University of St Louis Billikens home court is Chaifetz Arena. St Louis’ Scottrade Center will host the 2014 second and third rounds of the Men’s NCAA Basketball Tournament on March 21st and 23rd.
- Kentucky won the 1978 NCAA National Championship in St Louis but in the Checkerdome Arena. Water damage led to the court being removed and the NCAA borrowing Indiana’s Assembly Hall and yes… UK finished #1 for the season.