With that, here’s some notes you should know about UNC Asheville in tonight’s 7 degrees:
- UNC Asheville is known as UNCA and that’s pronounced Un-Ka
- UNCA is located in Asheville, North Carolina and was once known as Biltmore College.
- Biltmore Estate, located in Asheville is the name for largest privately owned house in the United States. The 178,926 square foot home was built by George Washington Vanderbilt in 1895. That’s roughly 1.37 Rupp Arena’s (130,000 Square Feet).
- George Washington Vanderbilt was the nephew of Cornelius Vanderbilt. Cornelius endowed 1 million dollars to Central University in Nashville in 1873. Vanderbilt died in 1877 before the University would be named after him.
- Cornelius Vanderbilt’s 1 million dollar endowment in 1873 is roughly 19.6 million dollars in 2013. The University of Asheville has a total endowment of $21.1 million, Kentucky $915 million, Vanderbilt $3.39 billion.
- Kentucky is 8-3 against Syracuse, including the 76-67 1996 Championship game. Kentucky is 3-0 against UNCA.