Despite early season struggles, the Kentucky football team appears to be making improvements every week. Here are the offensive and defensive rankings for UK among the current NCAA stats:
- Total offense – 25th at 490.0 yards per game
- Rushing offense – 39th at 213.3 yards per game
- Passing offense – 35th at 276.7 yards per game
- Pass efficiency offense – 39th with 144.22 rating
- Third down conversion offense – 117th at 25.6 percent
- Net punting — 111th at 33.13 net yards per punt
- Total defense – 49th at 367.0 yards per game
- Rushing defense – 88th at 185.7 yards per game
- Passing defense – 30th at 181.3 yards per game
- Pass efficiency defense – 70th with a 130.65 rating
- Third down conversion defense – 6th at 23.1 percent
- Turnover margin – 100th at -0.7 per game
There are some surprising and impressive numbers on that list. Although the offense has certainly struggled, they are in the top 25 of total offense and top 40 for rushing, passing, and pass efficiency. If you’ve been watching the team play then you already know they need to make improvements on limiting turnovers and converting on third down.
On the other side of the ball, the defense has come a long way already since facing Western Kentucky in week one. It’s quite impressive that they’re 6th in the country at allowing teams to convert on third down. They seem to be getting more and more physical and stingy week by week.