Let’s take a break for Kentucky basketball and NIT talk. We need something positive around here after the 72 hours of continuous heartbreak and disappointment.
Let me direct you to an unlikely source: Kentucky Wildcats football.
Mark Stoops held his first post-spring practice press conference today. Here are the highlights of what coach Stoops had to say:
– Excited to be on the field and a great first day.
– He loved the attitude and had good ideas of the base offensive plays and defensive plays. But the execution was very sloppy.
– There is no depth chart. Nobody has earned anything yet and spots will be evaluated as they continue.
– All three QB’s (Smith, Whitlow and Towles) took even amount of snaps. They all had their ups and downs.
– Sloppy in the area of wide receiver and dropped some passes. They need to work on their skills positions.
– He really liked the pace of the first day. They will improve on the transfer speed between drills. The offensive staff was well prepared and he liked the preparation.
– Not really seeing any leaders emerge yet. He is OK with that and wants to see people develop into leaders.
– Very impressed with Neal Brown. His drills and efficiency was very impressive.
– Not one position of the field that doesn’t need improvement. All areas need to be improved. A few guys stood out on offense but there were too many balls on the ground. Wide receivers are very important. Maybe some of them were pressing.
– It was fun to get back to coaching. Was more involved with the X’s and O’s on defense than offense.
– Full pads on Friday.
– No scrimmage on Saturday. Only three days of practice this week. Wednesday and Saturday are the only two practices left this week.
– By the end of the 15 spring practices the players should know who they are offensively and defensively.
– The structure is very similar to what they did at Florida State.
– Felt good to get back on the field and chew some guys out again.
– He likes the Nutter Field House facility.
– Non-committal on Josh Clemons status. Said they are going to take it smart and slow with him.
– Position battles will make the team better. Going to push the guys hard and be harsh with them.
I don’t know about you but I am getting goosebumps thinking about what this team can accomplish with more work.
Watch the full video here. Go Cats.