The Georgia Bulldogs lie next for the University of Kentucky Wildcats, the game taking place Thursday night at 7:00PM on ESPN.
After a disappointing loss at Arkansas Saturday, the Wildcats (RPI 51) find themselves a mere 4.5 point favorite according to Jeff Sagarin, despite visiting a Bulldog squad with an RPI of 127.
But as always, you didn’t click the link to hear about basketball… here are your 7 bullet points separating the University of Kentucky from UGA and it has one theme today… just how old is Georgia?
- How old is Georgia? Georgia is one of three schools in the country to claim title to “Oldest Public University in the United States”. How old is Georgia? Old enough that the first president of the university, Abraham Baldwin, was one forty signers of the United States Constitution.
- How old is Georgia? The school was founded in 1785. The state of Kentucky was not founded until 7 years later as it became the 15th state in the union. The state of Georgia was actually founded in 1732 and was one of the original 13 colonies.
- How old is Georgia? There have been 9 bulldog mascots, each named UGA (I – IX) since 1956, the first year a bulldog roamed the sideline. The average span as mascot of those dogs, 6.4 years. To have an UGA since the founding of Georgia would require that the current UGA would not be IX but XXXV (35). There have only been 22 Winter Olympics (one each 4 years) since its founding in 1922.
- How old is Georgia? The country of Georgia was not founded until 1918, some 133 after the school was founded. The country split off from Russia during the Russian Revolution…and yes the area the country of Georgia is founded on does actually date back to homoerectus. Fitting when you see pictures like this:
- How old is Georgia? Uncle Julius Mays was born September 4, 1989 but did you know he isn’t the oldest player on the team? Fellow senior Twanny Beckham was born November 14, 1988. Beckham is nearly 203 years younger than the University of Georgia.
- How old is Georgia? Stephen Foster wrote My Old Kentucky home was composed in 1852, some 60 years after the state of Kentucky was founded.
There you have it, a look at how Kentucky is tied to Georgia solely using the age and history of the school. I mean, if people in 1851 thought the place was an Old Folks Home…