When Kentucky’s Wildcats face South Carolina’s Gamecocks at 9:00PM EST Tuesday February 5th in Lexington, it’ll be the 57th time the two have met, with Kentucky winning 46 to South Carolina’s 10. The last loss, Kentucky’s 62-68 defeat in Colonial Life Arena at the hands of Devan Downey’s 30 point effort.
Here’s the ties between Kentucky and South Carolina in tonight’s 7 degrees:
- The University of South Carolina is often referred to by a few different English alphabet acronyms and words, including USC, SC, and “Carolina”. Unfortunately for SC, schools more prominent in sports South Carolina competes in simply come to mind first, like University of Southern California (USC) for football and “Carolina” referring to their northern neighbors.
- Leeza Gibbons, a USC (South Carolina) alum, was the host of Entertainment Tonight. After John Tesh took his show on the road, she bailed in 1995 for Extra…the exact same content during the exact same time frame for the exact same audience.
- “Cocky” is the name of the sideline mascot of South Carolina. He originally was introduced for entertainment purposes to replace “Sir Big Spur” and was said to be “The son of Big Spur”. He was booed for nearly two years and after a stint appearing in and around baseball games, he managed to make it through a full football game in 1980 without being booed off the field.
- In 2010 after having beaten Kentucky in three straight basketball games and 11 straight football games, the SC student government got a little cocky themselves and drafted a resolution, then sent it to the Kentucky student government and Kentucky Kernel.
- SC has yet to beat Kentucky in basketball since that streak (5 straight) and lost against the Wildcats in football for the first time in 11 seasons when the two met in 2010.
- Kentucky has yet to reply to South Carolina’s resolution on paper.
- If you are part of our big female reader pool in Paris reading this, as of today it is legal for you to wear pants if you aren’t riding a bike or a horse and had not receive permission from a police officer prior. If you are anyone in South Carolina, it is still illegal as Kentucky still owns the pants when these two teams play.