For the second straight weekend, Kentucky faces a squad of large land mammals. Last week, the Lipscomb Bisons, this week the Marshall Thundering Herd.
This 7 degrees starts with a head coach in the NBA and finishes with another head coach that has coached in the NBA:
- Mike D’Antoni, current coach of the LA Lakers, is a Thundering Herd alum and was named to the Marshall Hall of Fame in 1997. While his current roster sees Former Kentucky basketball player, Jody Meeks, that’d be too easy to connect the Herd to the Wildcats.
- Randy Moss attended Marshall but only after Notre Dame denied his enrollment forcing him to transfer to Florida State where during his red shirt freshman season, he failed a drug test that led to his dismissal. Moss’ NFL career will likely land him in the Hall of Fame as he currently has the second most receiving touchdowns all-time, he was elected to Marshall’s Hall of Fame (not yet inducted).
- Jerry Tipton, another Marshall alum, also has a Hall of Fame included on his resume. As a member of the U.S. Basketball Writers Association Hall of Fame, Tipton writes for the Lexington Herald Leader and covers the Kentucky Wildcats.
- Perhaps the most interesting connection between the two schools is in the 1950 TV’s Soupy Sales Show. Sales, a Marshall Alum, has a sidekick named “White Fang”. White Fang was a giant dog who stayed off camera except for a paw that touched Sales’ face.
- Ron “Fang” Mitchell, who received the nickname after having a voice similar to the TV character, is the head coach of Coppin State and employed James “Bruiser” Flint on his staff years ago. Flint was hired away from Fang by John Calipari when he coached Massachusetts and later Flint would take over for Cal after he left UMass for Memphis.
Kentucky faces Marshall tomorrow at 4:00 pm in Rupp Arena.