The plural of Bison is Bison, but the English language often has its rules enforced liberally and this Liberal Arts college from Nashville, Tennessee has done just that as they are “The Bisons”. While not a thundering herd, Lipscomb’s Bisons find themselves cousins to other large land mammals in Bucknell and North Dakota State that are simply Bison.
Here’s all you’ll need to know about Lipscomb for the game on Saturday:
- Marty Roe of the popular 1990′s band Diamond Rio calls himself a Bison after attending the school in the mid 80′s. The Precious Rock Band’s hit song “I Believe” was the fifth and final Number One single on their 2002Completelyalbum. One could take the easy way out and tie Kentucky’s “‘I Believe’ in blue” anthem to this, but that wouldn’t make much of an article now would it?
- Casey Bond was drafted in the 25th round of the 2007 MLB draft by the San Francisco Giants and while Bond, Casey Bond, may not be a Country Music fan, he was also a Lipscomb Bison. After a few seasons in the minor leagues, seeing himself only make it to AAA Fresno, he didn’t turn to his education but rather what every other California inhabitant falls back on – acting.
- Bond’s career was stirred, not shaken though as he landed a role next to Brad Pitt in his Academy Award nominating role in Moneyball.
- Brad Pitt, who is easily known to be besties with many A-list celebrities but none so much as Lexington native, George Clooney, starred with Clooney in Oceans 11, Oceans 12 and Oceans 13, a trilogy that saw over 1 Billion dollars in the box office.
- $1.1 Billion dollars would have bought 20 copies of Lexington’s most famous landmark, Rupp Arena, at the cost of it’s construction in 1974 but only paid for 5 renovations ($216 million in 2012). At the rate of construction (2 years from ground breaking -1974- to opening 1976), 8.5 Rupp Arena’s would have been built before 1993.
- In 1993, Clooney had a part in the TV series Sisters, the same show Mrs Wildcat, Ashley Judd played the role of Reed Hasley.