The University of Kentucky Wildcats face the Portland Pilots (5-5) this Saturday at noon in Rupp Arena. Kentucky is 3-0 all time against the small school from Oregon, with the last two victories coming in 2010 and 2011.
Here’s your rundown of useless information every Kentucky fan should know prior to tip-time:
- Sophomore Kyle Wiltjer and alum Terrence Jones both claim Portland as their home city.
- Portland is known as The City of Roses and is 2,378 miles from Lexington.
- If Kyle Wiltjer was to shoot a 3 point shot starting at Rupp Arena, then another where the goal was positioned when he shot the ball and continue to do so until he reached Portland, he would have shot 627,800 times. Wiljter would score 813,000 points using last year’s 43.21% average (655,000 using this year’s average of 34.8).
- Many former Kentucky players are Pilots, including Rob Lock (Kentucky ’88). Many Kentucky basketball players continued playing basketball for the NBA (89 total, 46 in the first round). Not many Pilots have ever played for the NBA (11) with the last being drafted in the 9th round of the 1984 draft and only two have ever been drafted in the top two rounds.
- Josh Harrellson was drafted by the New Orleans Hornets in the 2nd round of the 2010 NBA draft and is currently with the Miami Heat.
- “Jorts” as Harrellson is affectionately called has only played a total of 10 minutes and dressed 7 of 15 games for the Miami Heat and Coach Erik Sspoelstra.
- Erik Spoelstra is a Portland alum and three year starter for the Portland Pilots.
There you have it, 7 degrees of the Portland Pilots and how they are tied to the Kentucky Wildcats.