It’s been a somewhat confusing day on Nerlens Noel news, but USA Today seems to confirm that Nerlens Noel is indeed cleared to play:
Wednesday afternoon, NCAA spokesman Bob Williams confirmed that in an email to USA TODAY Sports. “Nerlens Noel is cleared to practice and compete,” Williams wrote.
James told us earlier that Calipari said on ESPN that Noel was ready to go, but a UK spokeperson quicky negated that quote and said that nothing had changed. Here is part of the earlier UK release:
UK says there is no update on Noel’s status and that they will not comment on his eligibility until the first game.
Whether or not UK is commenting on it officially, it would appear that USA Today has broken the story. I can’t see a NCAA spokesperson speaking off the cuff like that to a major media outlet. As for now, we can relax abit, but I sure would feel a bit better if there was an official Kentucky statement, but I guess for now we can celebrate and dream of title number nine.
It does look like Noel is cleared and that the investigation is over. The Courier Journal’s Kyle Tucker had this tweet:
I asked NCAA spokesman if there’s any suspension for any number of games for Noel. “No. He’s cleared to practice and compete.”
— Kyle Tucker (@KyleTucker_CJ) October 17, 2012
In other news, the Marcus Lee commitment has been pushed to 7:00 PM and apparently will not be televised live. There is talk of a ESPN crew there but apparently that is for an ESPN documentary.