Yesterday was Kentucky basketball media day and John Calipari was on center stage. Coach Cal never disappoints when it comes to giving the media some great material and providing quotes for us to digest. Yesterday was no different.
So, here are the top 10 of the best quotes from John Calipari yesterday:
10. “I sat out by his statue, and he and I talked a little bit. He wasn’t real talkative. I don’t know. He usually is.” Calipari on asking the Joe B. Hall statue for advice
9. “I wish I had the whole team coming back. I wish I had teams for three and four years, but that’s not the way it is. I’ve talked enough about how I can’t stand this one and done stuff, but it is what it is. I’m not going to cheat the kids. I’m not going to have kids stay that need to leave.”- Calipari on having an entirely new team this season
8. ” I have more knowledge, been through more experiences. There’s nothing a kid is going to do or say that I haven’t seen and I don’t respond to it better. ” Calipari on his experience after winning a national title
7. “Well, tell them the truth. Not embellishing. I mean, we undersell, overdeliver. I’m not going to BS you. This is how it is. If you don’t want this then you don’t come here. I’m not the only coach that can help you prepare for your dreams. This is what we do and how we do it. If you want this, it is a great place to go. If you don’t want it, you can go somewhere else.” Calipari on communicating with players today
6. “Kyle Wiltjer said he never thought he’d play on a team as close as last year’s team. Now he’s saying this team may be as close, if not closer than last year’s team, which makes me feel good. I mean, that is the kind of stepping in that you want to have.” Calipari on the closeness of his current team