This is the time of year I hate, Kentucky sports news slows to a crawl. Luckily baseball is hot this year but mostly it’s speculation and recruiting talk. Since Kyle is doing such a good job projecting different position groups I’ll stick to football news. So here are this week’s tidbits:
- The SEC has released the announced attendance for spring practice amongst it’s member institutions and Kentucky came in last place by a long shot. The school above them, Vanderbilt, had triple the fans in attendance. Kentucky’s 4500 looks paltry in comparison to teams like Ole Miss and Tennessee, whom the cats defeated, bring in 25k and 35k respectively. I just keep saying it, if Kentucky fans actually want a good football team (I’m not sure they all do) then they need to start supporting their program. Until then, the team is at a disadvantage. I was at the Blue/White game and saw a lot of recruits there. Doesn’t help for them to see folks would rather lose $2 horse-racing bets and watch fireworks than see their team play for free.
- It seems that the staff is intent on evaluating and handing out offers during camps this summer. They still only have about 16 scholarships to offer if no one else leaves and they have to be picky.
- UK’s only 2013 commit, DL Jacob Hyde, participated in the Charlotte Nike Football Training Camp and performed admirably. He was ranked near the top grouping of his position. Folks forget that Hyde dominated prized OL Hunter Bivin when the two squared off in a camp setting.
- UK has released the schedule for their summer camps this year. You can see it here.
- It looks like the Kentucky-Louisville series will continue for a few more years. The SEC announced schedules and has no plans to move to a 9-game conference schedule at this time. Anything can change if enough money gets thrown around but the series is safe for now.
- UK Athletic Director Mitch Barnhart wants money for football upgrades. Up to $100 million. Apparently the state won’t allow the bonding necessary to borrow the money. So now it seems Barnhart is telling everyone who will listen. I applaud the gesture. Without knowing how long this has gone on, perhaps Mitch tried to get the flies with honey and now it’s time for vinegar. BBN rise up!